Basic Borrowing Rules
- Students wishing to check out library materials will use their photo ID, library card, or Big Horn One card.
- Community borrowers must get a Mohave Community College library card in order to check out library materials and access online databases.
- All damaged or lost materials shall be paid for or replaced by the patron to the satisfaction of the Librarian. To prevent damage, media items should be returned to the circulation desk.
- Patrons are responsible for all materials charged to their card and may not loan their library card to others. The library should be notified if a card is lost or stolen.
- MCC students, faculty and staff may check out ten items at a time, with up to five DVDs. Community patrons may check out five items at a time, with up to two DVDs.
- Materials may be requested from another MCC campus or through Interlibrary Loan.
- Books in the General Stacks and audiobooks are loaned for a period of four weeks. DVDs are loaned for a period of one week.
- Circulation of course reserves and periodicals varies by item and campus location, but some items may be limited to in-library use only.
- Board games are loaned for a period of one week (7 days); puzzles are loaned for a period of four weeks.
- Materials may be renewed twice, unless there is an outstanding request for the item. If the patron wishes to renew an item more than twice, the item must be physically brought in to the library and renewed in-person by library staff.
- MCC students, faculty and staff, as well as people residing in Mohave County and nearby communities, may apply for a free library card at any of the campus libraries. Applicants must show a form of photo identification at time of application. Acceptable forms of ID include: Student ID/Big Horn One card, driver's license, or other government issued photo ID.
- A current mailing address is also required at time of application. Parents or legal guardians shall be responsible for all materials checked out by immediate members of the family under the age of 18 years.
- A library application form with the signature of a parent or legal guardian must be on file before a card will be issued to a person under the age of 18, unless the youth is a registered student at Mohave Community College. The library application must be signed by the parent and minor in the presence of library staff.
- Please notify the library immediately if a library card has been lost or stolen. Unless notice is received by the library, patrons are responsible for any materials charged to lost or stolen library cards.
- There is no charge for a replacement library card and you may obtain a replacement at the circulation desk at any campus library.
- Notify the library staff if there has been a change of address, email, or phone number.
- The library supplies Inter-campus and Inter-library loan (ILL) borrowing services to student, faculty, staff, and public patrons.
- Requests are filled in the order they are received.
- Requested materials will be held for five (5) working days after the patron has been notified by telephone, or seven (7) working days after a notice has been sent by mail.
- Given that ILL items are from outside libraries, the library strictly enforces due dates. A patron who is 8 or more days late in returning ILLs will not be allowed to place future requests. Extenuating circumstances (illness, making previous arrangements for return, etc.) will be decided by the librarian.
- Patrons are considered delinquent when one or more items are overdue. The library does not charge overdue fines, however a delinquent patron will not be allowed to check out additional materials until all items are returned or replaced with an item of equal value.
- The library has established the following system for informing patrons of late items:
- 3 days before items are due - patron receives email reminder
- Due date - items become overdue if not returned
- 7 days after due date - patron is emailed notice about overdue books
- 30 days after due date - patron is mailed a letter indicating their books are now long overdue.
- 15 days after date of mailing - The patron's account is placed on temporary suspension and a note is added to their library account. Patron's will no longer be able to check out items until the issue is resolved as described above.
- Accounts are cleared only after all materials have been returned or replaced to the college library to the satisfaction of the Librarian.
Note: The term "materials," as used throughout this guideline, includes any library item which is loaned to a library patron including, but not limited to, books, non-print items (audio/video), and equipment.